Service Director, Corporate Finance
From April 2020, Buckinghamshire residents will be served by the brand-new unitary council - Buckinghamshire Council. This new form of local government builds upon the strong track record of the four District Councils and the County Council whilst also providing exciting opportunities for innovation and transformation. A substantial transition programme is currently underway, led by the Shadow Executive. We have appointed our Corporate Directors and are now recruiting to our third tier Service Director positions.
This new role of Service Director - Corporate Finance - will also hold the s151 responsibilities. The successful appointee will report to our new Corporate Director of Resources but you will work closely with our Chief Executive Rachael Shimmin, the newly appointed Corporate Management team and alongside ambitious councillors who are committed to ensuring service continuity through transition, as well as bringing about transformational change, improvement for residents and delivering the benefits identified in the business case.
- To provide strategic leadership and direction, operational management and financial control for the Corporate Finance service areas for a large Unitary Council with a population of >c.500,000.
- To be accountable for the performance of the Unitary Corporate Finance service area and the delivery of high-quality strategic aims. Support the Corporate Director for Resources to deliver the desired culture and aims of the Council.
- Be the Council's S151 Officer ensuring compliance with all financial, statutory and constitutional requirements this requires both a deep knowledge of Finance and the ability to work at scale within a complex organisation.
- Be an active member of the Resources senior leadership team with collective responsibility for the managerial leadership of the function, encouraging a culture which promotes the values and behaviours of the council.
- Drive transformational organisational change in order to achieve excellent member, customer and partner relationships while delivering cost effective, high quality services to residents.
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Lead the Corporate Finance function within a larger Unitary organisation developing and driving the long-term Treasury Strategy for the Council, including managing the cash-flow, investments and borrowing for the whole organisation.
- Balance the Council's corporate interests with the local service needs ensuring compliance with all financial, statutory and constitutional requirements.
- Be the Council's principal financial advisor on treasury management, risk, investment and pensions for the Council, providing advice and support to the Corporate Management Team and service leads.
- Lead on the pension administration provision for the Council including pensions payroll, pensions investment and accounting.
- Lead the Council-wide capital programme managing risk and investment appropriately and in line with statutory and financial regulations.
- Be responsible for the Council's audit provision commissioning financial auditing to ensure corporate financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation maintaining the highest standards of corporate governance and financial control.
- Analyse the financial climate and market trends in creating strategic financial plans for the Council.
- Interpret complex financial information and provide updates and information as needed.
- To provide specific technical advice and support to the Council on all issues relating to the area of control.
- To be responsible for the deployment of the appropriate resources in the support of major corporate and service projects and initiatives.